Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Over the Moon

I was asked by a client to do an out-of-the-ordinary project recently that sounded like a lot of fun.  The assignment was to make a reception room at an area boutique hotel seem "homey" for the family and friends who would gather on Thanksgiving weekend for a party honoring my clients' son and his fiancee.

Courtesy of the Moonrise Hotel
It was an honor for me to be asked, as this was the fourth project I had worked on with the client - a suburban home, a surgical center, a Chicago condo, and now this! 


The room was a blank slate.  Most people would have been content to settle for the usual run-of-the-mill stock and trade of the catering world, i.e. skirted tables and banquet chairs. But my client's vision was far beyond that of settling for the ordinary or the expected. Her priorities were comfort and character!


To keep costs down, we borrowed as much as we could from other parts of the hotel that they could graciously part with.  My client has always liked the 60's retro look, which is exactly what the look of the hotel was all about.  We ended up renting only a few pieces and plants to bring it all together.


I called my favorite floral designer Todd Johnson to put together some nice arrangements to decorate the tables. 


Three intimate seating areas were created.  I attended the event, and was pleased to see guests using all the areas of the room, able to engage in conversation in a comfortable and attractive setting, and able to set down glasses and plates for convenience.


At the end of the party, here I am with my muse and visionary client surrounded by our creative collaboration.  It's a happy memory in my mind, as I know it will be for her family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment