Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Treasure Chest

Quick - what do you do when you see an old trunk in the alley?  Answer: drag it home, let it sit outside in the elements while you think of what to do next for a couple of months.  When inspiration hits, refinish it. I was also spurred on by the worry that it would become so decrepit that it would be beyond salvage.


I wish that I had had the foresight to photograph it before I started "restoring" it.  It was a big pile of peeling rust, but I could see that it had great potential.


This is where having an MFA (Master of Fine Arts) comes in handy.  I mixed up some alizarin crimson, raw sienna, burnt sienna, raw umber, burnt umber, ultramarine blue and lamp black oil colors to blend in with the natural rust colors.

Here is the finished product, with a coat of satin varnish over all. Now there is storage in this room and a surface that has character from all angles!

No comments:

Post a Comment