Friday, October 1, 2010

October

Come October, I am always reminded of a poem I learned from my teacher, Miss Jenkins, in kindergarten.  How I loved a school program with art, music, and snacks as the main subjects!  My class recited it together, sitting on the floor in a circle as the tree leaves outside changed colors and fell to the ground.  As a homeowner, when I recall the poem, I feel a sense of urgency to ready the home and grounds for the approaching cold weather.


THE LAST OF OCTOBER
by Aileen Fisher

The last of October we lock the garden gate.
The flowers have all withered that used to stand straight.

The last of October we put the swings away.
The porch looks deserted where we used to play.

The last of October the birds have all flown,
The screens are in the attic, the sand piles alone.

Everything is put away before it starts to snow-
I wonder if the ladybugs have any place to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment