Monday, November 1, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest


With an enjoyable period of Indian Summer temperatures last October, I felt in a frenzy to complete outdoor home and yard tasks.  I imagined they were utterly necessary to complete before the onslaught of winter.  Need I note that a lot of these chores had lain neglected for years.  Perhaps this was the year that I made time to tackle them. 



 My first "to do" involved tearing ivy off of the garage.  In the process of this, I kicked a hornet's nest, and immediately felt a sharp pain on my arm.  This sting unleashed enough venom to wipe me out physically for two full days.  It then took at least 3 weeks for the angry red splotch and local pain to disappear. I remember when I was in my early twenties, I kicked a nest another time and got stung on a finger which swelled up like a golf ball.  It also put me in the horizontal position and wiped me out for at least a day.
                                 

Easy to see how how well camouflaged their nest is and how easy it is to disturb the entrance! Now with the St. Louis Film Festival underway, I noticed a film entitled 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest'...Sounds interesting, given my personal experience.  I am sorry to say that the hornet's nest is no more, but at least I don't have to worry about getting stung again and the ivy is off the garage!


No comments:

Post a Comment