Friday, February 26, 2010

Pumpkin Story

Here is one spectacular pumpkin; so beautiful that I didn't want to carve it as a jack o'lantern on Halloween. I kept it in my fruit cellar over the winter, waiting for the time when I could draw or paint it before consuming it in various delicious recipes. This is the story of a life well-lived of a legume! As I said, it started its career as an uncarved pumpkin porch decoration for Halloween.

Finally the day came when I did a drawing. It's so large, it filled the paper. There wasn't a bad angle!

Renee Flanders
Pumpkin
9" x 12"
graphite on paper
2010


Renee Flanders
Pumpkin
12" x 12"
oil and encaustic on canvas
2010
I called the produce department at a local grocery, to see if there was any reason not to consume my aged pumpkin. The grocer exclaimed to the others around him, "She still has her Halloween pumpkin!" He assured me that it would be fine to eat. I chose 3 recipes to prepare: Lentils and Pumpkin (Morocco), Pumpkin Salad (Sicily), and Pumpkin Squash Soup (Provence). I liked them all equally well! The remains of the pumpkin have retired to the compost heap. It will be reborn again in another entity.
Then, I did a painting of the pumpkin. Again, it more than filled the canvas. This painting is about the impression of my large pumpkin: orange and edges!

No comments:

Post a Comment