Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Aw Shucks!

"The Oysterman," 1933 by Fonville Winans. 
 Courtesy of James and Meriget Turner, Fonville Winans Collection.  With appreciation to Steve Kleinpeter, Southern Photographic Images, featuring the Fonville Winans Collection, www.spiart.com


The above photograph is how I might have felt if a load of oysters had been delivered to my front porch.   Had I gone wrong in the commodities market?   Fortunately, with it being the summer season and the Gulf waters warm, the oysters from P & J were already shucked.  They kept nicely on a bed of ice until I got home from the office.  It was just was another example of a favorite client from New Orleans who is generous beyond belief.  Over the weekend, I was asked the question, "Would you prefer shrimp or oysters?"  She may call it just southern hospitality, but it is a behavior that we can all try to emulate. 

The P & J Oyster Cookbook by Kit Wohl & the Sunseri Family

A treasured cookbook  of more than 120 oyster recipes was loaned as well.  Oysters Bordelaise from Tujague's, New Orlean's second oldest restaurant, was the winning entree for the evening.  It was served on a bed of fettuccine, accompanied with warm crusty bread to soak up the broth,  a simple green salad, and a crisp glass of Chardonnay.   For a couple of hours, I could pretend I was in New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment