Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Now I Can Die

There have been a few times in my life when I have completed some creative effort, and the thought has popped into my head that "Now I can die".  It's not really morbid, I don't think, but a practical response to knowing that I have used the gifts that I have been born with and cultivated.  I've had this thought in response to things that I have done in art and interior design, and now in music.  I never imagined that I would play Beethoven's Sonata no. 17 in d minor, otherwise known as "The Tempest".  But tackle it I did, after my piano teacher Kathi Kurtzman made the suggestion. I may as well have tried to climb Everest, but with her as my sherpa, I was bound to succeed.


It was a great accomplishment for me, because when I hear beautiful music, I want to participate more actively than a spectator, or passive audience.  If I can play even a semblance of the magic of music, I feel fulfilled.


Kathi Kurtzman, has been my piano teacher for many years.  I started my daughter Emily with her when Emily was 5.  I didn't think that we could afford for both of us to take lessons, so I dutifully sat in on her lessons, fingers itching.  When Emily broke her arm at the age of 8, I couldn't help but think of who would take her place at her lessons?  Obviously, I happily filled the spot.  When Emily's arm recovered, I decided we could afford NOT for us both to take lessons.  The rest is history.

A very influential artist of my youth, Kathi Kollwitz, said,

"I do not want to die...until I have faithfully made the most of my talent and cultivated the seed that was placed in me until the last small twig has grown".

No comments:

Post a Comment