Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July

I have found the perfect volunteer job: painting floats and other decorations for a local philanthropic organization called the Veiled Prophet organization.  The VP was founded in 1878 by a former citizen of New Orleans.  He envisioned a parade similar to the New Orleans Mardi Gras parade, as a way to promote St. Louis agriculture and business. The character of the Veiled Prophet was adopted from the poet Thomas Moore, as a mythological theme for costumes and pageantry.


The Veiled Prophet Parade, now held on July 4th, kicks off five weekends of St. Louis special events each summer.  There are marching bands, large balloons, clowns, horses, and 30 floats.  Of these 30 floats, 17 are themed floats designed and decorated by the VP organization.  This year's theme was "A Night at the Movies".


The shop is an immense place, buzzing with excitement for the work at hand. As a former Fortune Interiors employee, I felt right at home amidst the power equipment, paint, and supplies.  I met a lot of wonderful people, and made some new friends.


Here I am, snorkeling in my dreams as I paint seaweed to adorn the Little Mermaid float. This satisfies my interest in painting stage sets back in my 20's as a career option.  It's never too late!


 I still say, if I wasn't designing homes and businesses, I'd be happy to work for Disney!

Little Mermaid float
Here's the parade and some of my handiwork.  It's a privilege to paint as a way to give back to the community!

No comments:

Post a Comment